Things I'm doing by hand at the moment that I'd love if Visual Localizer could automate

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM
  1. Clicking on a form or user control, opening it in design view, and selecting "Generate Local Resources" from the Tools menu. I understand this can only be done via the visual designer. It'd be lovely if it could be automated. I don't know if it can be.
  2. Copying all my resx files and then renaming the copies to have the culture code at the end. I honestly thought this was what "translate resource file" did, rather than look up the translations and replace them in-situ. Ideally, I'd like to be able to hit "Create new language" on the whole project, and have all the necessary resx files created. And then possibly autotranslated.
  3. Have the "Move to resources" dialog be somehow context sensitive. I've only just started the process, and I've already got a LOT of local resource files. I can't seem myself finding them on an unsorted, unfiltered drop down list.
  4. If there's anything I can to to make "Move to resources" work with Local resource files (like, create a designer for them) that'd be really handy. I know you said they need a class for the reference. What's wrong with replacing the string with GetLocalResourceObject?
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Hi,
thanks for using Visual Localizer. I totally agree with your suggestions, however I' afraid I'm too busy to implement them at the moment. Feel free to checkout a copy of the source code and make the changes yourself - see Documentation for details about the build environment.
Regards,
cre8or
Oct 9, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Edited Oct 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Grrrr. I just hit (Right click / Visual Localizer / Translate Resources) on a folder because it'd forgotten it didn't do what I expected it to do, and now I've translated my whole damn project into Spanish; including all the original resource files I'd just created in English and hadn't committed yet.

If nothing else, that function needs a bit warning box on it saying "Don't do this. You almost never want to do this. It's a bad idea. Press cancel now".