ASP.NET Web apps not supported?

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Hey,

Just wanted to say, thanks. This is a good initial cut. In my testing, i notice that web applications do not work at all in any of the three visual studio versions.

How can we help get that implemented? I've looked at the code, and see some obvious places to start...

Thanks,
Mike
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Hi,

thanks for the appreciation. ASP .NET web application projects should work - not the Razor syntax, just classic .aspx, .master and .ascx files. Could you describe the problem more closely? I.e., does Visual Localizer work in other environments (C#, VB .NET)? Which Windows do you use - there have been some troubles in Windows 8...

cre8or
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Edited Jun 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Thanks for responding. Sure.

In all 3 VStudio versions, I create a plain old c# asp.net web application, using the default web app template. Add a global resx folder, add a resx, set it to an embedded resource, make sure it has a designer file with public access set. Then I right click on the default.aspx and click visual-localizer -> batch move. execute it, save the page, set the globalization tag in web.config, run it, and default.aspx is blank.

Not sure if i'm doing something wrong, but i had to hack your AspNetStringResultitem.getReferenceText function to return the AspElementExpressionFormat to get it to work for me. Oh and in VS2010, Project.Kind does not return a GUID I would've expected (i tried to match on stringconstants.webapplicationProject - it didn't work). Another thing i noticed was that for a href tags, or any plain old html tags, if you set an attribute using AspElementExpressionFormat those tags need runat="server" added.

Thanks!
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM
-- Update. I should say that i tried hard to get your AspElementReferenceFormat (<%= tags) to work but had no luck at all.
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Hi,

the behavior you describe seems really strange, never seen that before. You mean the batch move command causes the file to become empty?
Frankly, the ASP .NET Web site projects were nightmare during the development, they differ from all other kinds of projects in certain (strange, non-deterministic, not documented) ways. Try maybe running the command in an opened file (in the code window context menu) and see if it works.
I am now leaving for a 10-day vacation, so I won't respond to any comments - if you're interested in how Visual Localizer works, please read my Bachelor Thesis, this project was a part of it. We can solve the issues when I get back.

Thanks for your patience.