Any plans on implementing VB support?

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM

This is a great project, after looking through the code I am impressed at how clean and how well everything works. 

Do you have any plans on adding support for visual basic.net? So users could add strings from vb.net projects into resource files then have them translated. 

If their is no future plans then I will attempt to add them in.

Coordinator
Dec 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Hi Joe,

thank you for your appreciation (btw - there's gonna be a new release within few days, which should contain much less bugs than the current version). 

The trouble with Visual Basic is that I don't know the syntax (which is rather unfortunate since Visual Localizer works directly with source code). Another thing to consider is that this is an academic project, part of my Bachelor's Thesis. So if I decide to implement something, it must be implemented well and work on 100%. I am now considering several new features Visual Localizer could have (like Razor syntax for ASP .NET) - so let's say I'll add Visual Basic to the list of "maybes" :-). Watch project homepage, I put all my ideas there.

Thanks again and if you find any bugs or come up with more ideas, feel free to post them here or the Issue Tracker.

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Hi Joe,

I have good news for you - I decided to implement VB .NET support in Visual Localizer. This feature will be available in the next release (1.3), hopefully within a month.
Hope you enjoy it :-)

cre8or
Jun 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Hi,
I just install version 1.3.2, but no trace in VBproject, neither on CSharp.
When launching VS (I do not know if it is related or not), I receive only once an error message "param missing" or something like that.

Is version 1.3.2 supporting VB project?

Thanks in all cases
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Hi,

version 1.3.2 supports C#, VB. NET and ASP .NET. What you describe seems like a problem with installation. Do you see any presence of Visual Localizer at all? Is Visual Localizer present in the list of loaded extensions (Help / About)...?

If not, the installation of the product was not successful. Could you re-install it and possibly post more details? I.e. which Visual Studio version are you using, the error message text that you get on startup...

cre8or
Jun 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Hi,

No trace of Visual Localizer.
I work with VS 2008 Pro on a Windows 8 64 bits machine
I have tried multiple times to uninstall and reinstall, but I didn't have the message back.
In the Add-in manager, no trace also

Perhaps uninstall still let some trace in the registry ?

I'll try to clean the registry for entries and reinstall

Pat
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Hi,

I have already seen the very same on Windows 8 and it was a security issue. Apparently the installer is not permited to write to the registry or execute commands. Please make sure you are logged on as Administrator, try running the installer with administrator privileges, temporarily turning off the UAC etc. Also make sure Visual Studio is not running while installing Visual Localizer.
If neither of this helps, I will provide you with instructions for manual installation.

cre8or
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Strange, strange,

Normally to be sure, I use the "run as administrator" possibility on right-click. But with your setup, I did not have this option.
I think Manual installation will be the rapid solution.

Patrick
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Ok, give me a last chance :-). Please have a look at:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9564-run-administrator-windows-8-a.html

OR

Run the CMD prompt as Admin, then the following:
msiexec /a your.msi

The only thing to solve here really is how to run a MSI as Administrator (hopefully).
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I have tried on different way
  • as described in your link
  • by creating a .bat file and run it as administrator.
Twice finished with "a Network version of ... has been created", but still no trace in VS2008 ;-(
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Ok, here is the manual installation.
https://visuallocalizer.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Manual%20Installation&referringTitle=Documentation

Please let me know if it works alright.
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM
And in fact, I do not find the XML ADDIN file. Perhaps can I build one from another one
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Grrrr, I think I have followed the process, but still no addin file and no add in in vs2008.
I will do it one more time to be sure
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Sorry, I forgot you're using 64bit Windows. Please reload the instructions, there is one more step.
Jun 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Thanks,

I will try this afternoon, uninstall will keep some times.
I let you informed tomorrow (for me it is 18:30)

Many thanks

Patrick
Jun 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Hi,

I am lost.

I have tried to install yesterday on my backup machine and have the same message:

Value can not be null.
Parameter name : Value

Details:

Exception type: System.ArgumentNullException
Parameter name: value
Source: mscorlib
Inner exception type: (null)
Stack trace:
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.SetValue(String name, Object value, RegistryValueKind valueKind)
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.SetValue(String name, Object value)
at VisualLocalizer.Settings.FilterSettingsManager.SaveSettingsToStorage()
at VisualLocalizer.Settings.GeneralSettingsManager.Instance_PropertyChanged(CHANGE_CATEGORY category)
at VisualLocalizer.Settings.SettingsObject.NotifyPropertyChanged(CHANGE_CATEGORY category)
at VisualLocalizer.Settings.FilterSettingsManager.ResetSettings()
at VisualLocalizer.Settings.FilterSettingsManager.LoadSettingsFromStorage()
at VisualLocalizer.Settings.GeneralSettingsManager.LoadSettingsFromStorage()
at VisualLocalizer.VisualLocalizerPackage.Initialize()
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Hi,

at least there is some progress - this means Visual Localizer is already loaded, but for some reason fails to work with the registry. I will examine the issue and let you know as soon as possible.
Jun 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM
But now ... I find vizualizer in my CB.net source

In any cases, many thaks for your help

Patrick
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Hopefully I discovered the bug. Please re-download the archive and replace the DLL's - the issue should be fixed. Thank you very much for your patience - I hope you'll enjoy Visual Localizer. Please rate the project and/or donate if you like :-).